Puakea Catch 22 SUP Paddle
|Manufacturer||SUP ATX, Designed by Puakea Designs|
|Item||All Carbon Fiber SUP Paddle|
|Color||Black Carbon w/ Yellow, Green or Blue Graphics on Blade|
|Length||Uncut Length = 87″|
|Blade Width||Blade Widths = 7.75″ / 8.00″ / 8.25″ / 8.50″|
|Paddle Weight||16 oz|
|Materials||100% carbon fiber construction|
More Information via SUP Magazine.
After 4 weeks of paddling in all types of conditions, flatwater, surf, wind and chop. I can say that I’ve put this paddle through the ringer and I’m impressed.
When I picked up the paddle at Surf Expo, Johnny Puakea explained the theories behind the paddle design and construction. Johnny Puakea is hypnotic. Maybe it’s knowing he was a Olympic paddle coach or that he coached Danny Ching and other top paddlers. Maybe it’s his method. Johnny explains things in a way that help you understand them no matter what level you’re at. I’m not sure. All I know is when he told me about it the paddle, I nodded like a bobblehead. I soaked it up like a sponge. It wasn’t until I got on the water that it all started to make sense.
WHAT I LIKE:
- It’s clean: Squeaky clean. Entry and exit. If it was fabreeze, I would call it “fresh” scent
- It’s light.
- My shoulders don’t hurt.
- My elbows don’t hurt.
- It’s made me obsessed with my catch.
- The shaft and handle are super comfortable, a mixture of a palm and a T, more palm than T, but with some T characteristics.
I liked paddling with it, but would probably keep this for racing and training. I would really nail my desired length based on my skill level and my specific race board thickness and go with it as a race paddle. For surf, I would want a shorter shaft. In that case, I probably wouldn’t buy two because of the cost. The other issue is the price. I don’t know if this is the most expensive paddle on the market, but at $600 it’s up there. Paddles are so personal. I’d try one. It’s something I’d buy if I was serious about racing. There is a top tier of race paddles that are between $400 and $600 that are all worth the $. This one joins that “worth the money” group.
WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO WITH THIS PADDLE:
- Whitewater. I don’t think I’d suggest it. Carbon fiber and rocks don’t mix.
- Get in a fight with a kung fu master. A 1-inch punch will end you, sucka
- Defend yourself against a pit bull. There are better defenses, like carrying a steak and throwing it at them.